Friday, May 28, 2010

Ruminations on four loko

This is a high octane, alcoholic, malt beverage that I took a picture of one rainy day in Seattle. This was on the ground near NW 56th Street and 32nd Avenue NW. Now, usually, I don't take an opinion on malt beverages.

Ever since i've lived in Seattle, i've noticed a great deal of debate about the homeless and alcohol consumption. Typically, i've thought that these debates about "civility issues" often pander to the worst aspects of the overeducated and overpaid Seattle Left.

Overtime, however, I have started to give more and more thought about malt beverages, and restrictions on them.

If you haven't visited this Chicago company's website, you should. Even more that targeting the homeless, they clearly appear to be targeting young people. This beverage is called four loko, and has 12 percent alcohol by volume in a 23 ounce can. That seems pretty high.

The problem is, that Seattle has, at least up until the last time I read up on this issue, a haphazard approach to the banning of high alcohol content beverages.

What's worse? The website is so old, I can't tell if this four loko is on the list.

I haven't made up my mind about alcohol restrictions. I don't know if they work - and I don't know if you're just penalizing the poor by placing restrictions on their sale. Plenty of the upwardly mobile get shit faced and obnoxious all the time, whether it be from Kettle One or micro brews.

Maybe it's just the sight of people getting very drunk off them. This particular beverage seems to be causing problems. I don't know.


No comments:

Post a Comment