Thursday, May 20, 2010

Political graffiti on pieces of cement on the beach in Magnolia

I am often interested in overtly political graffiti. I can remember going to San Francisco a couple times when I was pretty young, and I remember seeing very overt, political graffiti in downtown San Francisco. It would always be about causes I had never heard of, and in the pre-internet and pre-google days, I couldn't go on line to look up what they were talking about - which somehow made it all the more interesting.

In my opinion, at least, you see very little overt political graffiti in the city of Seattle.

This picture is of some overtly political graffiti. This was spray painted on cement blocks sitting on the beach in an area of town called Magnolia.

It reads: "NO NORTH AMERICAN UNION" and "NO I.D. CHIPS" and "DON'T GIVE IN". It then continues on with "TO THERE LUST FOR POWER OUR RIGHTS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY" and "EMBRACE DIVERSITY" and "FUCK THE SPD".

I don't really know what this all means, but I found it interesting. Seattle isn't a very political city at all, it's very establishment, so it is interesting to see someone's views expressed in such a way.


No comments:

Post a Comment